Thursday, December 16, 2010

Crazy Chocolate Chip Cake

The "original" recipe for this cake is named Chocolate Crazy Cake. I think it's because my mom is a CRAZY, good baker. Everything she bakes turns out awesome. My stuff isn't quite as lucky, like my first batch of "Crazy Chocolate Chip Mini Cupcakes" from today. I like to make little (and big) tweaks to recipes. This doesn't work so well in baking. And for those of you who know me, my mistake today didn't include flaxseed or wheat germ, thank you very much! It was simply a measurement (or lack thereof) error. After consulting with a more law-abiding relative (Thanks B!) My cupcakes rocked the house (in my humble opinion.)


This recipe is a combination of two of my mom's recipes which are great stand-alone recipes. I don't know why I can't just leave well enough alone.


Now I really need to go to bed, because I've spend entirely too much of this day thinking about cupcakes. I know these are bad photos. They were just meant as text message temptations to my sister.






Crazy Chocolate Chip Cake
From Bleggi Family Recipes

1 2/3 cups flour
1 small package instant chocolate pudding
1 cup sugar
¼ cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup water
½ cup canola oil
½ cup sour cream
1/3 cup milk
1 Tablespoons vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips

In a bowl, sift together dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix wet ingredients together then gently combine with dry mixture. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into a well-greased and floured pan. Hint: Spray cupcake liners with non-stick cooking spray.

Bake at 350 degrees. Mini cupcakes: 15-17 minutes, Cupcakes: 20-22 minutes, Bundt cake: about 30 minutes

Coconut Buttercream Frosting

1 cup butter, softened
¼ cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 lb. powdered sugar

In large bowl, cream butter with electric mixer. Add coconut extract. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add coconut milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.

P.S. This icing frosting is a work in progress. What I really need is Coco Lopez (cream of coconut.) Do you know where I can find it?

3 comments:

Honeybee said...

They are De-lish!!

Seth Ollerton said...

Admitting you have a problem is the first step! I am very proud of you for finally posting a recipe. Now I don't have to call and bug you to remember what you did because we all know you usually don't write it down or do it the same twice!

Abbie

Mrs. Doyle said...

I know this was posted a while ago, but being the slow person I am I am just now getting around to commenting on this post! The crazy cake is one of my favorites but maybe I'm thinking of a different kind because I always grew up with Nana's crazy cake. ? Are there two crazy cakes? if so I might need to try the other one!