Saturday, March 17, 2012

Sugar Cookies

I've always had an affinity for sugar cookies. In fact, many of you who know me, may be surprised to learn that I use to consider a Granny's B Pink Sugar Cookie and Mountain Dew to be THE lunch of champions.
Almost two decades later, I've refined my palate just a bit and prefer a homemade version. 
This is the recipe I grew up with. My mom is a master baker and I remember eating loads of sugar cookies as a kid. I like to use all butter, but also love soft cookies, so I usually replace one tablespoon of butter with one tablespoon of canola oil. I make these once or twice a year, but I should make them more. I doubled the recipe and put half the dough in the freezer. (I'll probably finished it off before the cookies get baked. I'm a cookie dough junkie!)

I prefer a glaze/icing as opposed to fluffy frosting. Again, it reminds me of the smiley face cookies from my childhood that my mom use to get at Provo Bakery. I made a basic butter cream for these, however I used coconut oil in place of butter and thinned it with coconut milk. I also used almond extract.

Voila! A festive St. Patrick's Day treat.
_MG_0746.jpg by Mountain Light Photography

Without further adieu...


Sugar Cookies
¾ cup butter, softened minus 1 tablespoon
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla
Sift:
2 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt
Chill for 1 hour. Roll out and place on ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle. Bake until edges are very lightly brown. 400 degrees.

1 comment:

Sydney said...

Hello to YOU. Thanks for this great recipe. As luck would have it, I am responsible for baking sugar cookies for Young Women's this week. I will be using your recipe, for sure. YUM! xo